|Stations | Locations | Bridges | Tunnels | Map|
Ynysferlas is the site of a former halt on the Welsh Highland Railway.
John Keylock, in The WHR - An Historical Guide states "Ynysferlas Halt was moved half a mile south and renamed Hafod Garregog Halt after 9th July 1923. Two upstanding lengths of rail mark the supports for the original halt sign."
By examing the available information, satellite photos and old maps, the following has been established.
From Boyds writing, there was an apparent unidentified temporary location known as Hafod Garregog. The length of time that the "temporary" existed must have been very short.
Given what has happened more recently with Beddgelert Forest Halt / Meillionen, this writer (KCB) contends both Ynysferlas, and the actual Hafod Garregog, were in fact the same location, the name change being effected before opening in June 1923. One suggestion has been made that the unidentified HG site, was in fact also the unused Hafod y Llyn (TWO) site)
The three halts mentioned by Boyd are Hafod y Llyn (7m 10 ch from Rhyd-ddu), Hafod Garregog (7m 50ch) and Ynysferlas (8m 7ch), and they all appeared to be available at the opening in 1923. He also states that in July 1924 the middle one, the original or temporary Hafod Garregog, was closed and the name transferred to the former Ynysferlas. Certainly the 1930 1" OS map shows the two halts, but not the middle one. From the mileages quoted, the midddle one, the original Hafod Garregog, must have been close to the point now known as Hafod y Llyn (TWO).
The name Ynysferlas would therefore only appear in the timetables for 1923 and early 1924.
The halt had a small shelter and a 40ft siding.