Snowdon Ranger (Station)
|Snowdon Ranger (Station)|
The original station, which is now hidden behind a fence, and is privately owned
|Stations | Locations | Bridges | Tunnels | Map|
Snowdon Ranger is a request halt on the Welsh Highland Railway. It lies at a height of approximately 158m (518 ft), and a route distance of approx 23.66km (14.7 miles) from Porthmadog.[route 1][wikipedia 1]
The station was originally built by the North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways. Following Board of Trade approval, the line was extended to here and opened in May 1878. During the course of the next three years, the line was extended again to Rhyd Ddu,
The station had a stone built station building, a water tank on a stone plinth, a signal box and a siding with a back shunt. The adjacent Youth Hostel was a pub in the early days, which resulted in a particularly discreditable derailment in 1883 when the train driver, fireman and guard had become over-refreshed on the premises.
The original documents from the National Archives show that the name Snowdon Ranger was in use at the opening of the line thither in May 1878 (MT 39 39 162). During the old WHR period it was known as Quellyn Lake Station but since the reopening it has been firmly set as Snowdon Ranger. It is now an unstaffed Halt.
At this point, it may be advisable to clarify a recurrent naming problem. Please see the Quellyn Lake entry.
The Receiver, during the closure years, allowed the tenant of the station building to live there rent free for so many years that he claimed adverse possession (squatters' rights) so the house did not come into the possession of the FR Co. during the rebuild.
The New Halt
The new halt opened in 2003. It is sited a little to the east of the old station building behind the nearby Youth Hostel. The station is popular with walkers wishing to climb Snowdon on the Snowdon Ranger path which begins adjacent to the halt. The railway enables climbers to ascend by this path and descend via the Rhyd Ddu path (or vice versa) and use the train to complete their journey. The naming of the halt has occasionally led to problems when passengers think they are boarding a train on the Snowdon Mountain Railway.
Origin of the Name
The original Snowdon Ranger was the princely or royal official who had charge of the Forest of Snowdon or Eryri (English: land of eagles) in the mediaeval period. By the time of George Borrow (c.1850) the post had declined to that of a guide up the mountain from this side, hence the name of the former pub, now Youth Hostel.
There is no parking at this location
For general details see here
This halt is only accessible via a narrow footpath and there is no level access.
Trains will not normally stop here, as this location is classed as a halt, and not a scheduled stop. Passengers are asked to notify the guard, as soon as possible, if they wish to alight at this location.
Intending passengers, from here, are requested to hold out your hand so the driver can see you. The driver will often give a short "toot" to acknowledge he has seen you.
- see this comment about name changes.