Chronology Pre 1830

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Pre 1830 - Ideas and rivalries abound[edit]

Chronology
Pre 1830 1830 - 1862 1863 - 1889 1890 - 1926 1927 - 1946 1947 - 1954 1955 - 1958 1959 - 1982 1983 - 1994 1995 - date

Day Log

Accident Record

"Legend"
Changes Engines People
Dividend Payout Literature BOT/HMRI
History Stations Carriages
A table of key events in the history of the Festiniog Railway Pre 1830
Year Day Month Event Source
1800 . . William Madocks builds the Creassy Embankment (later to become the trackbed of the Croesor Tramway and WHR) to cut off the north-west of Traeth Mawr and allow the establishment of Tremadoc. Lewis
1807 . . Madocks obtains Act of Parliament empowering him to commence building the 1600 yard Cob across the mouth of Traeth Mawr Winton
1808 . . Construction of the Cob began, using a narrow gauge tramway (probably 3ft gauge) Lewis
1809 . . Penrhyn Cottage at the east end of the Cob, built as workshops, stables and offices Lewis
1811 . May Penrhyn Cottage complex renamed Boston Lodge after Madocks' Lincolnshire constituency Winton
1811 . July Cob completed Winton
1811 16 Sep Cob opening celebrations commence Winton
1811 . . Tramrails removed from the Cob Lewis
1812 . Feb Storm breaches a 100 yard section of the Cob; tramline relaid to repair breach Lewis
1814 . . Breach repaired. Cob re-opened and rails retained for maintenance purposes Lewis
1820 1 May William Madocks speculates about building a railway from the Blaenau Ffestiniog quarries to the Traeth Bach quays on the Afon Dwyryd below Tan-y-Bwlch. Lewis
1821 . . Madocks obtains an Act of Parliament to authorise contruction of a harbour at Ynys-y-Towyn to take advantage of the deep channel carved out by the sluice for the Cob, and to be named after himself, Port Madoc. The Act makes provision for any future railway from the quarries to join the Cob tramway. Lewis
1824 21 Oct The first quay at Portmadoc rented by slate quarry operator Samuel Holland Lewis
1825 18 Feb Two rival railway schemes presented to Parliament to link the Blaenau Ffestiniog slate quarries with Port Madoc - one from Madocks and the other from Oakeley. Both fail. Lewis
1826 16 Feb Moelwyn & Port Madoc Railway bill presented to Parliament on behalf of Lord Rothschild. The route up Cwm Croesor and the west side of Moelwyn Mawr is surveyed by James Spooner. This scheme also fails. Lewis
1828 15 Sep William Madocks dies in Paris. Lewis
1829 . Dec Henry Archer meets Samuel Holland Jnr in a pub in Pen-y-Groes Winton
Chronology
Pre 1830 1830 - 1862 1863 - 1889 1890 - 1926 1927 - 1946 1947 - 1954 1955 - 1958 1959 - 1982 1983 - 1994 1995 - date

Day Log

Accident Record

"Legend"
Changes Engines People
Dividend Payout Literature BOT/HMRI
History Stations Carriages

See also[edit]