Locations/Tanygrisiau to Blaenau Ffestiniog

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
Location Areas Navigator
← Previous Next →
Dduallt to Tanygrisiau
Locations | FR Locations

Stations and halts are in larger type. Locations on the current official route as defined by the rule book are in bold. Inset locations are not on the route itself but are nearby and of interest.

  • Tanygrisiau Station
  • Footbridge 1 – Fron Cottages.
  • Cwmorthin Siding and incline.
  • Holly Tree – rock stabilisation was required here.
  • Dolrhedyn Road Bridge (Fern Meadow Road Bridge)
  • Penlan – the name of the township hereabouts. Site of major rock-fall – which necessitated major stabilisation work and realignment.
  • Footbridge 2 – Pant-y-celyn
  • Fron Wen (White Breast i.e. hillside) underpass.
  • Gweithdy Cryddion (Cobbler’s workshop)
  • Gradient Post 96/148
  • Coal Shute Culvert
  • Footbridge 3 – Tro Ffatri (Factory Curve)
  • Bont Ffatri (Factory Bridge leading to Moelwyn Mills and water wheel)
  • Barlwyd Terrace
  • Bodychain (Place of Oxen) and underpass.
  • Groby Junction, sidings and branch. (Site of)
  • Fridd Llwyd Foot Crossing
  • Milepost 13
  • Groesffordd Junction
  • Groesffordd (Footbridge 4) – (Cross-roads)
  • Culvert
  • Nyth Y Gigfran Incline. Adjacent to site of the Dinas Branch 1836
  • Barlwyd Bridge – Rebuilt as a volunteer project 1981.
  • Glan-y-pwll Junction – Dinas Branch 1899, now giving access to Glan-y-pwll Depot.
  • Glan y Pwll Depot
  • Glan-y-pwll Road Crossing (Automatic) - the former B-road from Glan-y-pwll to Tanygrisiau, now bypassed by the A496.
  • Gradient Post L/96
  • Wakefield Foot Crossing
  • Stesion Fein (Site of) opposite the LNWR Station 1881-1939
  • Gradient Post 66/L
  • A496 Bridge - This section of road was built in the 1960s, blocking the (disused) FR route. Bridge built c. 1980 for the FR reconstruction.
  • Benar Road Bridge - Heads north towards Llandudno. History as for the A496 Bridge.
  • Dorfil Bridge - small footbridge connecting the town.
  • Gradient Post 255/66
  • Blaenau Ffestiniog Water Tower Crossing
  • Blaenau Ffestiniog Station
  • Footbridge – This footbridge provides access to the FR platform from Church Street.
  • Blaenau Ffestiniog Foot Crossing
  • Gradient Post 143/255
  • Blaenau Ffestiniog Buffer Stops - End of Line at 13 miles 55½ chains from Porthmadog Harbour Buffers.
  • Queen’s Hotel – The FR Co. established a shop and booking office in the Hotel in 1997. With the end of the lease the shop transfered to a location on the station platform.
  • Duffws (Precipice) – The site of the former FR terminus. Now the town car park.

See also[edit]


  • Compiled from the original FR Heritage Chronology, available from the [FRHG] and used here with permission