|This article is a stub. You can help Festipedia by expanding it.|
Trains need heating especially in the winter months.
Victorian train heating on the FR
Beyond the Harbour Station kitchen, before the alterations forced on the building by the building of the access road to South Snowdon Wharf, was a small enclosed yard. Off to the left (between the yard and the platform) was a moderately large, self-contained room that had originally contained the ovens for heating the naphthalene-filled foot-warmers which were routinely issued to first class passengers on winter trains during the Victorian era. The ovens were still in situ when the railway was reopened in 1955, but they were torn down during the winter of 1961/62 when the room was converted to hostel accommodation. It is unfortunate that they were not preserved as they were a rare survival even in the 1950s.
Measures may also be taken to reduce heat loss, including:
- insulation i general
- double glazing
- Beclawat windows, which close tightly with no gaps to let the wind in
- England Engine Tenders - The oil tank had a steam heating facility for the waste oil that was being burned at the time.
- Vale of Ffestiniog - Cab heating and demisting is by a diesel powered unit situated centrally feeding to ...
- Carnforths - Amongst the first FR carriages to be fitted with heating.
- Carriage 102 - Following the successful introduction of diesel fired heating in previous carriages (111 and 122), 102 is heated.
- Carriage 110 - the fuel tank and other equipment for the carriage heating (fitted in the early 2000s).
- Carriage 111 - gas-fired central heating. In early 2000's heating replaced with diesel fired
- Carriage 112 - with gas heating as built. Built by Carnforth Railway Restoration & Engineering Services,
- Carriage 113 - heating.
- Carriage 114 - As a result of this incident all gas heating fitted in carriages has been taken out of use. Heating for passengers and water is provided by a diesel ...
- Carriage 116 - hot-air heater was also fitted as the FR took steps to eliminate gas fired heating from its carriages.
- Carriage 117 - "Beclawat" windows, and heating.
- Carriage 121 - "Beclawat" windows and gas fired heating. Cabled and plumbed for Push Pull operation.
- Carriage 123 - The carriage is now double glazed, insulated and features an Eberspächer heating system.
- Carriage 2040 - Diesel-fired hot-air heating is fitted.
- Carriage 2041 - Diesel fired hot air heating fitted.
- Carriage 2090 - Diesel fired hot air heating fitted.
- Carriage 2115 - Diesel fired hot air heating fitted.
Some buildings also have under floor heating:
- Boston Lodge/Buildings - installation of underfloor heating