Old FR four-wheel coal waggons

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Waggon 19[edit source]

Coal Waggon 19 at Boston Lodge
*Date: 15th October 2005 Photo: Kim Winter
Wagon 162 (now 19) at Minffordd
*Date 1990 Photo Roger Marks


Coal Waggon No. 19 (1967 No. 162) Built FR Co. Boston Lodge, 1864-1882, Load 2 tons, inside bearings and single end door. Rebuilt Midland Group 1959 with new timber (FRM7). In 1967 renumbered 162; now reverted to 19. Source: FR Chronology

Waggon 26[edit source]

Waggon 26 at Harbour Station
*Date: August 2006 Photo Colin Lea
No. 165 (now 26) at Minffordd in September 1973.
Photo: John Ryan.


Coal Waggon No. 26 (1967 No. 165) Currently under restoration at Beamish (May 2017), on loan for period of 5 years.

Waggon 163[edit source]

163 at Boston Lodge
Date: 1st May 2005 Photo: Kim Winter

No. 163 -1967 number (Old FR No. 20) Built FR, Boston Lodge in period 1864-1882. Load 2 tons; outside bearings and single end door; note curly spoke wheel castings with spokes in opposite directions.

Rebuilt by Midland Group in the 1960s. Overhauled by Heritage Group working parties in 1990, fitted with new Jarrah headstocks, and treated softwood body & floor.

Out of use by 2002, solebars and spine failing. Dismantled March 2020 by trainee on HLF 'Skills for the Future' programme, to be subject to a comprehensive rebuild with new woodwork throughout. To be fitted with new curly spoke wheelsets and replacement brasses due to heavy wear.

Waggon 164[edit source]

Waggon 164 at Boston Lodge

164 -1967 No. (Old FR No. ?) Served for a number of years as the modern day 'breakdown' van for storing jacks, packing, crowbars, etc. At which time it was fitted with a removable roof, since discarded. Waggon 164 is in store at Minffordd Yard awaiting repairs to its headstocks before returning to running order as part of the heritage goods train. Previously listed under FR covered goods vans.

Waggon 166[edit source]

166 at Boston Lodge prior to rebuild.
Date: 9th January 2005 Photo: Kim Winter
166 in rebuilt form at Boston Lodge following sign writing.
Date: 19th August 2016 Photo: Will High


166 -1967 No. (Old FR No. 23?)Built 1859,***, built FR Co. Boston Lodge, 1857/59?, Load 2 [Chronology states 3] tons, iron frame and body, outside bearings and single end door, braked. Date of building may be post 1878 as central spine is double-head rail and appears to be part of the original construction. Has strange long axles to suit the wide body width and is fitted with 3½ inch iron bushes. (see Heritage Journal 30-5). Source: FR Chronology

Major rebuild in Summer 2014 by Slate Waggon team including largely new under frame produced from laser cut parts, in the process some lost original features were restored. Currently awaiting new wheelsets to non-standard design before returning to service.
,***, Notes compiled, in the main, from several published Ffestiniog Railway sources.

Tare Weights[edit source]

The 1-8-0, 1-8-1, 1-5-0 etc. numbers on the sides of these wagons are the 'tare' weights, expressed in tons, hundred weights an quarters (of a hundred weight) and represent the weight of the empty wagon. When a loaded wagon was run over a weighbridge the tare could be deducted from the recorded weight by the clerk to give the weight of the load, from which the Company would calculate its bill. (ACG)

See also[edit source]