BAldwin 794 is a 4-6-0T locomotive of the Baldwin class 10-12-D (Builder's number 44699 of 1917). It was built for the Great War, one of a large number of similar machines. After the War, it was sold and exported to India, where it worked on a sugar plantation, carrying the name 'Tiger'.
It was brought back to the UK from India in 1985 and passed to The Imperial War Museum, who remain its owners. It was displayed for a time in unrestored condition at the IWM's Duxford site, where it was intended to run it on a short line. The chassis was part-restored to rolling chassis condition for this purpose by a firm in Suffolk, but the plans for the Duxford line folded before attention was paid to the boiler, other than establishing that it was life-expired. The loco was transferred to WHR (Porthmadog) in 2004, where the IWM has agreed that the loco will operate under the pseudonym 590, being almost identical to the original WHR locomotive of that number. The expensive new boiler is funded under a generous bequest, and a public appeal is open for the remaining costs of restoration.
It is now at the Vale of Rheidol Railway's Aberystwyth works for restoration.
- http://www.whr.co.uk/stock/steam/baldwin-794 WHHR site page