Locomotives Used On The Original WHR Or Its Constituents
It has been suggested that a small 0-4-0VBT was used on the construction of the NWNGR in the period from 1873. In addition, a Festiniog Railway locomotive was hired by the contractor. Palmerston was sent to Llanwnda (Dinas) in May 1876. By September the record shows that a man had to be sent from Boston Lodge to repair 'her'. The list of materials was "a set of brasses, set of brake blocks, 6 piston rings & 4 split pins". Palmerston returned to the FR in July 1877.
Construction work on the PB&SSR was carried out by A Krauss & Son of Bristol in the period 1904-6. They used a Bagnall 0-4-0ST named Progress (Builder's number 1731 of 1903). It was advertised for sale by Krauss in May 1906. During this period some electric locomotives were ordered and never delivered. Details of these can be found here
Contractors Sir Robert McAlpine & Sons Ltd used a number of locomotives from March 1922 to May 1923 for rebuilding the former NWNGR main line and the remaining unfinished part of the WHR. Included was a Bagnall 0-4-0ST (Builder's number 2080 of 1918) McAlpine's Plant No. 01884. McAlpine also owned many Motor Rail "Simplex" 20hp 4wPM locomotives and the following are known to have been used on WHR construction because delivery details survive. It is likely that other similar locomotives were used at the Dinas end of the line.
- Plant No.1646 Motor Rail 2179 of 1922 delivered Dinas June 1922
- Plant No.1447 Motor Rail 2192 of 1922 delivered Porthmadog September 1922
- Plant No.1637 Motor Rail 2193 of 1922 delivered Porthmadog October 1922
- Plant No.1667 or 1677 Motor Rail 2197 of 1923 delivered Porthmadog about January 1923
- Plant No.1666 Motor Rail 2199 of 1923 delivered Porthmadog March 1923
Once operational, the following engines were used
- Moel Tryfan NWNGR and WHR
- Snowdon Ranger NWNGR
- Beddgelert NWNGR
- Gowrie NWNGR
- Russell ordered for PBSSR but used on NWNGR and WHR
- Baldwin 590 WHR
Additionally, many FR Co. locomotives were used operationally. Only partial details have survived, but they included Palmerston, Princess, Prince, Little Giant, Welsh Pony, James Spooner, Livingston Thompson, Merddin Emrys, The Simplex, Moelwyn and the Austro-Daimler. Further details, where known, will be found on the individual pages.
Other visiting locomotives on the original WHR and its constituents
- Muriel wartime timber extraction on partially-completed section of NWNGR
- Wartime testing of petrol-electric locomotives
- Kerr Stuart 4415 diesel
- Jubilee 1897
Closure and demolition period
The Dinas Junction to Pitt's Head and Hafod Ruffydd to Croesor Junction sections were dismantled by George Cohen, Sons & Co Ltd between August 1941 and June 1942. Two or more 4w internal combustion locomotives were used, probably rebuilt ex-World War I 40hp "Simplex" locomotives marketed under the "Planet" name by FC Hibberd & Co Ltd. One of these is seen here on the demolition train in the Aberglaslyn Pass.
The Croesor Junction to Portmadoc section was dismantled by WO Williams of Harlech between August 1948 and August 1949. A unidentified 20hp 4wPM Motor Rail "Simplex", No.14, obtained from a Scottish contractor, was used for this task and was then abandoned near the former crossing with the standard gauge line in Porthmadog. It was scrapped on site in 1955.
- Bradley, Vic (1993) . Industrial Locomotives of North Wales. London: Industrial Railway Society. ISBN 0-9010-9672-5. OCLC 27769657.