On shed, 2009
|Original Railway||Rustenburg Platinum Mines|
Gelert is an attractive 0-4-2T built in 1953 by Bagnall for the Rustenberg Platinum Mines in South Africa (Builder's number 3050).
It was the last of four ordered by the company during the period 1948 - 1953, and carried the number 4. All of them are preserved:
- No. 1 in Johannesburg, South Africa
- No. 2 at Loxhill in Surrey
- No. 3 was also on the Welsh Highland Railway(P), awaiting restoration. It has since been removed to the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway in Devon where it is currently in operational order. It is named Isaac.
The two WHR(P) locomotives arrived in Porthmadog in April 1982. Restoration work on what was to become 'Gelert' began in 1990 and was completed in 1992.
A ten-year major overhaul commenced in 2000, including major boiler work and work on the chassis and running gear. The locomotive returned to service in July 2004.
Shortly afterwards, it spent a few days at Dinas on the WHR(C), giving cab rides as part of Super Power Weekend on 11-12 September 2004.
On 25 June 2011, Gelert assisted Gertrude in a series of braking trials on the Welsh Highland Railway
It was stored out of traffic at Gelert's Farm Works, awaiting an overhaul for a time whilst a new welded boiler was under construction by Israel Newton & Sons Ltd in Cromford, Derbyshire. It then went ot the Statfold Barn Railway for overhaul.
-  WHHR site page