Rhyd Ddu, 2013
|Built by||Beyer Peacock, Manchester|
|1997||Acquired for WHR|
|2012||Converted to coal|
|Length||49 ft 2 in|
History in South Africa
138 was built by Beyer Peacock of Manchester for South African Railways to their 2-6-2+2-6-2T NGG16 Garratt design. This loco was one of the fourth batch of seven NGG16s (no.s 137 - 143) built in 1958. These were the last steam locos built by Beyer Peacock, which were originally ordered by the Tsumeb Copper Corp of South West Africa in 1958 but when its line was altered to Cape Gauge, South African Railways took over the order. It carries the works number 7863.
138 entered service at Port Shepstone in 1958. At this time it carried plates that erroneously carried the number "E138" instead of the correct "NG138". The correct plates were later fitted. 138 had major overhauls in 1968, 1973 and 1981, receiving a different boiler each time. In 1987 the operation of the Port Shepstone branch was transferred to the Alfred County Railway who initially used 138 as the shunter at Port Shepstone before it was withdrawn from front line service due to worn tyres.
Transfer to the WHR
138 was chosen for the Welsh Highland Railway in 1994. The Alfred County Railway overhauled the locomotive in South Africa, including conversion to oil firing. The overhaul was completed by 1996 and it made an appearance on a Ffestiniog Travel special before shipping it to the UK. 138 arrived on the Ffestiniog Railway in January 1997. Following further work at Boston Lodge and the Severn Valley Railway's boiler shop, it entered service on the Welsh Highland Railway in September 1997, having previously seen use during an FR Gala at Glanypwll in May. At this time it was painted in a dark green livery.
Over the winter of 2001/2 it was repainted into a new, lighter green, livery based on the house colours of Edison Mission Energy, who had sponsored the repaint. It was named Mileniwm/Millennium in May 2002. The locomotive received a £50k power unit overhaul in the winter of 2003/4. It subsequently suffered superheater problems which were resolved in the summer of 2004 after which the locomotive was returned to traffic as a reliable unit. In the winter of 2004/5 the regulator handle was modified to suit the general manager of the railway who is known to favour this particular locomotive.
The boiler ticket on 138 ran out in the spring of 2008, leaving only one NGG16 serviceable (143). When it had problems with fly cranks the rear bogie of 138 was substituted. During its overhaul the original boiler and oil firing were retained. An interesting boiler repair required was to the base of the dome. Similar repair have also been required to the boilers of Merddin Emrys and Earl of Merioneth; all three boilers had been built by Hunslet in 1967-8. Parts were returned to Dinas, where it was re-assembled, in May 2010. It was repainted with in a new red livery.
138 hauled the first 'Gold and Silver' sponsors train from Caernarfon to Porthmadog on October 30th 2010. 138 and 87 maintained the service in the first part of 2011 until 143 became available.
138 was converted to coal firing during 2012, steaming on coal for the first time during early October 2012.
Over the winter of 2016/17 138's power bogies was given a heavy overhaul. It returned to service in July 2017. The modifications included new bearings made from Vesconite, a self lubricating hard wearing plastic material.
When its current boiler ticket expires it is planned to fit 138 with the boiler donated to the WHR by the Puffing Billy Railway (previously on 129). To that end the boiler was sent away to Locomotive Maintenance Services in Loughborough for overhaul so that it could be ready for fitting as soon as possible after the removal of the previous boiler. The boiler was expected to be ready for its hydraulic test in February 2018.
In Edison Mission Energy green livery running round a Santa train at Waunfawr, Dec 05
Inside the cab (driver's side), See 143 for fireman's side of NGG16 footplate, May 2005
In (then) new red livery in the Aberglaslyn Pass, June 2010