From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
Jump to: navigation, search
At Harbour Station, March 2007
Type Quarry Hunslet
Home Railway Launceston Steam Rly.
Original Railway Dinorwic Quarries
Built by Hunslet Engine Co.
Built 1886
Wheel Arrangement 0-4-0ST

Velinheli is an ex-Dinorwic Quarry Hunslet 0-4-0ST, the first of the Hunslet "Alice" class of locos she was built in 1886 (Works No. 409). It is one of the few quarry Hunslets to carry a domed boiler. The loco is owned by James Evans, instigator of the Lyd Project, and is based on the Launceston Steam Railway in Cornwall. Velinheli visited the FR for the 1993 and 1997 Galas and returned to run on the railway in 2002 for some charter work and winter storage, during which time it was photographed carrying the name Indian Runner. It returned once more in early 2007, and headed a special FR Heritage Group Inspection Train with Carriage 11 to Tan y Bwlch late in the afternoon of 25 March as seen at Minffordd. It also gave footplate rides at Harbour Station during the Easter period.

Veliniheli visited the WHR(C) for the Superpower Weekend on 14-15 September 2002 and returned for the same event [report here] on 13-14 September 2003.

Velinheli was the first steam locomotive to visit Beddgelert on the rebuilt WHR when it visited the line in the last week of April 2007. The public relations aspect was very successfully covered by inviting local schoolchildren to view the exciting spectacle.

Veliniheli was back on the F&WHR in 2016 when it stayed for the summer season. During the stay it was used for The Snowdonian Limited, footplate rides and at Super-power on the WHR as well as representing the railways at that years Shrewsbury Flower Show.[1]

See also[edit]


  1. ^ Launceston website news story