|Status||Long term storage|
|Built by||Beyer Peacock|
|2009||Acquired by PWT|
|2014||Arrived on WHR|
|Length||49 ft 2 in|
History in South Africa
109 was built by Beyer Peacock for South African Railways to their 2-6-2+2-6-2T NGG16 Garratt design. This was the first of the second batch of NGG16s built in 1939 and was the first of the class to be built by Beyer Peacock Ltd at its Gorton works in Manchester (the first batch came from Cockerill of Belgium). It carries the works number of 6919.
It was put to work on the Avontuur line in Cape Province. It was withdrawn from service in 1985.
Preservation in the UK
The locomotive was obtained by the Exmoor Steam Centre from the Springs Railway Depot, about 40 miles east of Johannesburg, in 1995, arriving at Bratton Fleming on 3 July that year.
On July 6, 2009, it was announced that the locomotive had been purchased from the Exmoor Steam Centre at Bratton Fleming in Devon for service on the Welsh Highland Railway by the Peter Waterman Trust and was to be restored by the London & North Western Railway Company at Crewe. It arrived at LNWR Crewe 16th October 2009 for fast track overhaul. See here for pictures
Parts of this locomotive were displayed during 2010. This locomotive is owned by Peter Waterman and is only intended to run on the WHR when complete. However due to Government cutbacks the funding for the apprenticeship programme has been cancelled so all work in the loco has been stopped. In January 2014 most of the loco was delivered to Dinas for storage.