King of the Scarlets
|King of the Scarlets|
|Home Railway||Statfold Barn Railway|
|Original Railway||Dinorwic Quarries|
|Built by||Hunslet Engine Company|
King of the Scarlets is a Hunslet 0-4-0ST, maker's number 492 of 1889, supplied new to Dinorwic Quarry. Originally named Alice until at least 1908, that name was transferred to another engine (Hunslet 780 of 1902) when the present name was applied. In the course of its working life many parts were renewed or swapped with other engines, including the mainframes which are of later type. The engine went out of use in 1962 and in 1965 was sold and exported to Canada. In 2012 it was repatriated and in 2013 it was displayed in Spooner's Bar from 15 July for several months, in the space previously occupied by Princess for several years. Having had an overhaul at Dinorwic before export, and never having been used in Canada, it was in exactly the same condition as when it last worked, and it was displayed in this state after removal of some of the dust of the Canadian years.
After a few months on display it returned to its owner at Statfold Barn where it is now on display in the new museum, still in its unrestored quarry condition.