Awaiting the call to service
|Seating||12 x 3rd|
|Status||In service, Heritage Fleet|
|Built by||FR Co.|
|Length||12 ft 6 in|
|Width||5 ft 4 in|
This is the second carriage 10 of the preservation era, the first is now numbered Van 2.
A second generation of six 4-wheeled carriages, Nos 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 14, was built for the line in 1868. It is probable that the bodies were provided by the Ashbury Carriage and Iron Company and that Boston Lodge provided the underframe. These were more conventional than the "Birminghams" having a higher floor and two compartments with six seats each. Carriage 10 was 1st class, with four windows per compartment, plus droplights in the doors. The other carriages of this type were for 3rd Class and had no windows between the doors.
According to Boyd Number 8 was withdrawn before 1922 and Number 7 in 1928. There were none in service by 1939.
The current carriage 10 is a replica of the original number 10, the only first class carriage of the batch.
A door and footboard supports survived at Boston Lodge after the original carriages were removed from service. These have been used to create a replica which was completed during 2007, with old photographs used to provide many of the design details. The original running board brackets and 4 original grab handles have been used in the replica.
A 1st class carriage would not be useful in service so it has been downgraded to 3rd class.
Carriage 10 currently carries Victorian livery for use with the The 1870's Train.