Ashbury Bogie Carriages
Both the Festiniog Railway and North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways ordered a number of bogie carriages from the Ashbury Carriage and Iron Company. Although built to three different designs for two different railways there are many similarities between them and many parts were interchangeable. The NWNGR carriages were all cut down for use over the combined F&WHR system in the 1920s.
Many of these have survived, some considerably rebuilt, and a number of replicas have been (or will be) constructed.
The list of these carriages is:
- NWNNGR 9 (WHR 25) - Built 1893 - Scrapped, but replica constructed.
- NWNGR 10 (WHR 23) - Built 1893 - Now preserved on WHHR.
- NWNGR 11 (WHR 26) - Built 1894 - Now preserved on FR as Carriage 26. Rebuilt in the 1980s little of the original survives.
- NWNGR 12 (WHR 24) - Built 1894 - Now preserved on FR as Carriage 23.
- NWNGR 13 (WHR 28) - Built 1894 - Scrapped
- NWNGR 14 (WHR 27)̽ - Built 1894 - Scrapped
- FR 21 - Built 1897 - Scrapped, replica under construction.
- FR 22 - Built 1897 - Now preserved on FR. Rebuilt in the 1980s little of the original survives.
- WHR 24 - Built 2002 - Replica of 26 in original condition.
- FR 21 (Replica) - Under construction - Replica of the original 21.
There was also another carriage, as yet unidentified, but thought to be a NWNGR vehicle from 1897.