Photo: Martin Ellis
|Type||4-wheel ‘bug box’|
|Seating||14 x 3rd class|
|Status||In service, Heritage Fleet|
|Built by||Brown, Marshall & Co|
|Body Width||6 ft 8 in|
Carriage 3 is one of the FR's original carriages from 1864.
Carriage 3 was built by Brown, Marshall & Co of Adderley Park Birmingham. It is a single compartment closed carriage with knifeboard seating and a third class of capacity seven each side. Believed to have been part of the first batch of narrow gauge passenger coaches built in the world for public service (along with Nos. 2, 4, 5 and 11), to designs assumed to have been made by C.E. Spooner.
On revival in 1954, it was used on works trains and as mobile store at Tan y Bwlch.
It was restored to traffic in 1960, appearing from 1969 in a cherry red livery. Withdrawn again in late 80's (?) for refurbishment and strengthening, returning to service 1996.