Photo: Martin Ellis
|Type||4-wheel ‘bug box’|
|Seating||14 x 3rd|
|Status||In service, Heritage Fleet|
|Built by||Brown, Marshall & Co|
|1958||Restored to service|
|Body Width||6 ft 8 in|
Carriage 5 is one of the FR's original carriages from 1864.
Carriage 4 was built by Brown, Marshall & Co of Adderley Park Birmingham. It is a single compartment closed carriage with knifeboard seating and a third class of capacity seven each side. It is believed to have been part of the first batch of narrow gauge passenger coaches built in the world for public service (along with Nos. 2, 3, 4 and 11), to designs assumed to have been made by C.E. Spooner.
Carried Cherry Red livery from late sixties but was withdrawn about that time.
It was taken to Llanbedr for rebuild by Ron Jarvis in his workshop. It incorporates a steel section through the vehicle and can be braked, though no. 5 does not have brakes fitted. At this time Ron had 4 steel sections (5, 2, 1 and 12) made and enough machined timber sections for at least 4 vehicles (used on 5, 2, 3 and 4 and some bits on No 1).
Recently repainted into the Victorian livery for use in The 1870's Train, for some time it carried the Royal Purple livery in the nineties.