This page deals with FR coaching stock in the preservation era including vehicles which date back to before 1954. Because some vehicles have been renumbered and because some carriages and vans have carried the same numbers, a ready reference guide to numbering changes in the post-preservation era has been prepared and can be accessed here.
A full survey of pre-preservation coaching stock can be found at Carriages (Pre Preservation).
Updated details of the Carriage Sets currently used in operation can be found at Carriage sets
- 1 PRE-PRESERVATION COACHING STOCK SERIES
- 1.1 4 Wheeled Coaching stock
- 1.2 Bogie Coaching Stock
- 2 POST PRESERVATION SERIES
- 2.1 Carriages 100 - 107 and beyond - the "Barns"
- 2.2 Prototype Metal-Bodied Carriages
- 2.3 Carriages 112 - 114 - the Carnforths
- 2.4 Carriages 117 - 121 – the Tin Cars
- 2.5 Under Construction
- 2.6 Service stock
- 3 See also
PRE-PRESERVATION COACHING STOCK SERIES
The old FR Co. numbered its public passenger carriages, passenger brake/luggage vans, quarrymen's carriages and goods brake vans in four, separate, series.
Following preservation a unified numbering series for coaching stock was adopted. The two four-wheeled ex-Quarrymen's goods brake vans, the surviving Quarrymen's carriage and the three bogie brake vans that had been adapted to include passenger compartments were renumbered using vacant slots among the surviving carriages, respectively 1, 2, 8, 10, 11 & 12. However by 1996 the restoration and replication of carriages had, or soon would have, recreated the vehicles that originally carried these numbers, a situation inconceivable to the preservation pioneers, so in order to accommodate all the vehicles the heritage bogie vans, including the newly-built 'curly roof van' have been renumbered into their own separate series, along with the old-style four-wheeled brake vans 6 (formerly 2) and 7 (replica of old No 1 van).
Despite this the three rebuilt bogie vans have recently been carrying their historic (early preservation period) identities of 10-12, to match their current condition which represents that period. There is therefore possible confusion with four-wheel carriages 10-12.
There are photographs of one particular carriage that has, to date, eluded identification. Details of this can be found here
4 Wheeled Coaching stock
- The Boat replica.
- Carriage 1 - Replica "zoo car" previously numbered Carriage 9.
- Carriage 2 - First class, previously numbered Carriage 6.
- Carriage 3 - Third Class.
- Carriage 4 - Third Class.
- Carriage 5 - Third Class.
- Carriage 11 - Open coach, known as "The Flying Bench", now fitted with a replica canopy and leather aprons. Previously numbered Carriage 12 and Carriage 7.
- Carriage 12 - Replica "porthole bugbox".
- Carriage 13 - Similar to Flying Bench. It survived just into preservation era, but was an early candidate for scrapping. Some parts re-used on Carriage 12.
- Carriage 9 - Second generation small Ashbury. Type no longer exists but replica 10 built.
- Carriage 10 - The 2006 replica Ashbury first class.
- Van 1 - (1955) - Goods Brake ex quarrymen's carriage with two balconies - withdrawn in 1963 and no longer exists.
- Van 3 - Replica of "Sentry-Box" passenger brake van to 1865 design, built 2013-4.
- Van 6 - Goods Brake ex Quarrymen's Carriage - balcony at one end only.
- Van 7 - Replica of old Van 1 (1955) above.
Bogie Coaching Stock
- Van 1 - The replica "Curly Roofed Van".
- Van 2 - Now carrying its historic (1960s) identity Carriage 10.
- Van 3 - (1876) - Survived to 1955 but never returned to service - no longer exists.
- Van 4 - Now carrying its historic (1960s) identity Carriage 11.
- Van 5 - Now carrying its historic (1960s) identity Carriage 12.
- Carriage 14 - Buffet Car (ex-Lynton & Barnstaple Railway)
Pioneer Bogie Carriages
Ashbury Bogie Stock, variously rebuilt
- Carriage 21 (1897) - Disposed of in 1962
- Carriage 22 - FR original with new frames and body.
- Carriage 23 - ex WHR, normally runs on the WHR.
- Carriage 24 - Replica NWNGR car, normally runs on the WHR.
- Carriage 26 - ex WHR, new frames and body.
Open Carriages - Hudson Toastracks reconstructed in the preservation era
- Carriage 37
- Carriage 38
- Carriage 39
- Carriage 42 - Operates on the WHHR.
- "Carriage 47" - A misidentified "mystery" vehicle seen derelict in 1955. It was really old Carriage 37 or 42.
POST PRESERVATION SERIES
Carriages 100 - 107 and beyond - the "Barns"
First generation Barns or 'Centenary Stock'
- Carriage 100 (first) - Observation car - allocated to the WHR from 2003 and renumbered 1000 in 2006. Dismantled 2010.
- Carriage 101 - Old style Observation Car - allocated to the WHR from 2006-2009, renumbered to 123 2010, becoming "back to front" 3rd class observation saloon (disabled access).
- Carriage 103 (first) - Buffet Car - withdrawn 2006.
- Carriage 104 - Composite saloon. First carriage of the Barn series to be built (originally 24). 1st class compartment retained but declassified.
- Carriage 105 - Lavatory fitted all-third saloon - disabled access.
- Carriage 106 - Composite saloon. Orignal body withdrawn and replaced 2002. (see below)
Second generation Barns
- Carriage 106 - Composite saloon (replacement body). 1st class compartment retained but declassified.
- Carriage 100 (second) - New style observation car (without guard's compartment).
- Carriage 102 - New style observation car (with guards's compartment).
- Carriage 107 - Composite saloon. 1st class compartment retained but declassified.
- Carriage 124 - Service Car (Buffet-Toilet-Guard).
Super Barns, sometimes called Super Saloons
- Carriage 103 (second) - all 3rd saloon - disabled access.
- Carriage 108 - all 3rd saloon - disabled access.
- Carriage 117 (second) - all 3rd saloon - disabled access, panoramic windows.
- Carriage 118 (second) - all 3rd saloon - disabled access, panoramic windows.
- Carriage 119 (second) - all 3rd saloon - disabled access, panoramic windows.
- Carriage 121 (second) - all 3rd saloon - disabled access.
- Carriage 125 - Service Car (Buffet-Toilet-Guard).
- Carriage 150 - Observation Pullman.
Prototype Metal-Bodied Carriages
- Carriage 110 - All 3rd Saloon. Former driving trailer for Gelliwiog Shuttle.
- Carriage 116 - All 3rd Saloon.
- Carriage 122 - All 3rd Saloon.
Carriages 112 - 114 - the Carnforths
- Carriage 112 - Composite saloon. 1st class compartments retained but declassified.
- Carriage 113 - Composite saloon. 1st class compartments retained but declassified.
- Carriage 114 - Buffet Car.
- Carriage 117 (1977) - All 3rd Saloon. Withdrawn Autumn 2015, and sold to the Moseley Railway Trust at Apedale.
- Carriage 118 (1977) - All 3rd Saloon. Withdrawn Winter 2016, and sold to the GVLR.
- Carriage 119 (1980) - All 3rd Saloon with Lavatory. Withdrawn Winter 2014, and sold to the GVLR.
- Carriage 120 (1980) - All 3rd Saloon, formerly with Lavatory.
- Carriage 121 (1981) - All 3rd Saloon. Withdrawn 2005 and scrapped.
- Carriage 152 - Observation Pullman, sister to 150
- Carriage 120 (second) - all 3rd saloon - disabled access, panoramic windows.
- Carriage 21 (second) - Ashbury replica.
- Van 51 - four-wheeler built in 1963 to replace old Van 1 - (1955).
- Carriage 111 - Formerly an Observation Car with lavatory and guard's compartment, and fitted with Push Pull remote driving cab. Now used as service stock.
- Carriage 1000 - PW mess car converted from Carriage 100 (first) and now scrapped.
- Carriage 1111 - PW mess car.