This page lists Ffestiniog Railway coaching stock in the revival era, including vehicles which date back to before 1954. Because some vehicles have been renumbered and because some carriages and vans have carried the same numbers, a ready reference guide to numbering changes in the post-preservation era has been prepared and can be accessed here.
Updated details of the Carriage Sets currently used in operation can be found at Carriage sets
- 1 Heritage carriages
- 1.1 A note on numbering
- 1.2 4 Wheeled Coaching stock
- 1.3 Bogie Coaching Stock
- 2 Modern carriages
- 3 Under construction
- 4 Planned for construction
- 5 Service stock
- 6 FR Fleet table
- 7 See also
- A full survey of pre-preservation coaching stock can be found at Carriages (Pre Preservation).
This section lists carriages numbered in the original FR series. They are either surviving vehicles from pre-1954 or replicas of heritage vehicles constructed since then.
A note on numbering
Before 1954 the FR Co. numbered its public passenger carriages, passenger brake/luggage vans, quarrymen's carriages and goods brake vans in four, separate, series.
Following the revival of the line, a unified numbering series for coaching stock was adopted. The two four-wheeled ex-Quarrymen's goods brake vans, the surviving Quarrymen's carriage and the three bogie brake vans that had been adapted to include passenger compartments were renumbered using vacant slots among the surviving carriages, respectively 1, 2, 8, 10, 11 & 12. However by 1996 the restoration and replication of carriages had, or soon would have, recreated the vehicles that originally carried these numbers, a situation inconceivable to the preservation pioneers, so in order to accommodate all the vehicles the heritage brake vans were renumbered a separate series. Despite this the three rebuilt bogie vans have recently been carrying their historic (early preservation period) identities of 10-12, to match their current condition which represents that period. There is, therefore, possible confusion with four-wheel carriages 10-12.
There are photographs of one particular carriage that has, to date, eluded identification. Details of this can be found here, although it is now thought likely to have been a WHR vehicle.
4 Wheeled Coaching stock
- The Boat replica.
- Carriage 1 - Replica "zoo car" previously numbered Carriage 9.
- Carriage 2 - First class, previously numbered Carriage 6.
- Carriage 3 - Third Class.
- Carriage 4 - Third Class.
- Carriage 5 - Third Class.
- Carriage 11 - Open coach, known as "The Flying Bench", now fitted with a replica canopy and leather aprons. Previously numbered Carriage 12 and Carriage 7.
- Carriage 12 - Replica "porthole bugbox".
- Carriage 13 - Similar to Flying Bench. It survived just into preservation era, but was an early candidate for scrapping. Some parts re-used on Carriage 12.
- Carriage 9 - Second generation small Ashbury. Type no longer exists but replica 10 built.
- Carriage 10 - The 2006 replica Ashbury first class.
- Van 1 - (1955) - Goods Brake ex quarrymen's carriage with two balconies - withdrawn in 1963 and no longer exists.
- Van 3 - Replica of "Sentry-Box" passenger brake van to 1865 design, built 2013-4.
- Van 6 - Goods Brake ex Quarrymen's Carriage - balcony at one end only.
- Van 7 - Replica of old Van 1 (1955) above.
Bogie Coaching Stock
- Van 1 - The replica "Curly Roofed Van".
- Van 2 - Now carrying its historic (1960s) identity Carriage 10.
- Van 3 - (1876) - Survived to 1955 but never returned to service - no longer exists.
- Van 4 - Now carrying its historic (1960s) identity Carriage 11.
- Van 5 - Now carrying its historic (1960s) identity Carriage 12.
Ex-Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Stock
- Carriage 14 - Buffet Car
Pioneer Bogie Carriages
Ashbury Bogie Stock, variously rebuilt
- Carriage 21 (1897) - Disposed of in 1962
- Carriage 22 - FR original with new frames and body.
- Carriage 23 - ex WHR, normally runs on the WHR.
- Carriage 24 - Replica NWNGR car, normally runs on the WHR.
- Carriage 26 - ex WHR, new frames and body.
Open Carriages - Hudson Toastracks reconstructed in the preservation era
- Carriage 37
- Carriage 38
- Carriage 39
- Carriage 42 - Operates on the WHHR.
- "Carriage 47" - A misidentified "mystery" vehicle seen derelict in 1955. It was really old Carriage 37 or 42.
Carriages built since 1954 are numbered in a series beginning at 100.
Carriages 100 - 107 and beyond - the "Barns"
First generation Barns or 'Centenary Stock'
- Carriage 100 (first) - Observation car - allocated to the WHR from 2003 and renumbered 1000 in 2006. Dismantled 2010.
- Carriage 101 - Old style Observation Car - allocated to the WHR from 2006-2009, renumbered to 123 2010, becoming "back to front" 3rd class observation saloon (disabled access).
- Carriage 103 (first) - Buffet Car - withdrawn 2006.
- Carriage 104 - Composite saloon. First carriage of the Barn series to be built (originally 24). 1st class compartment retained but declassified.
- Carriage 105 - Lavatory fitted all-third saloon - disabled access.
- Carriage 106 - Composite saloon. Original body withdrawn and replaced 2002. (see below)
- Carriage 123 - "Back to front" 3rd class observation saloon, formerly Carriage 101.
Second generation Barns
- Carriage 106 - Composite saloon (replacement body). 1st class compartment retained but declassified.
- Carriage 100 (second) - New style observation car (without guard's compartment).
- Carriage 102 - New style observation car (with guards's compartment).
- Carriage 107 - Composite saloon. 1st class compartment retained but declassified.
- Carriage 124 - Service Car (Buffet-Toilet-Guard).
- Carriage 103 (second) - all 3rd saloon - disabled access.
- Carriage 108 - all 3rd saloon - disabled access.
- Carriage 117 (second) - all 3rd saloon - disabled access, panoramic windows.
- Carriage 118 (second) - all 3rd saloon - disabled access, panoramic windows.
- Carriage 119 (second) - all 3rd saloon - disabled access, panoramic windows.
- Carriage 120 (second) - all 3rd saloon - disabled access, panoramic windows.
- Carriage 121 (second) - all 3rd saloon - disabled access.
- Carriage 125 - Service Car (Buffet-Toilet-Guard).
- Carriage 150 - Observation Pullman.
- Carriage 152 - Observation Pullman.
- Carriage 110 - All 3rd Saloon. Former driving trailer for Gelliwiog Shuttle.
- Carriage 116 - All 3rd Saloon.
- Carriage 122 - All 3rd Saloon. Permanently allocated to the WHR.
Carriages 112 - 114 - the Carnforths
- Carriage 112 - All third saloon, formerly composite.
- Carriage 113 - Brake third with toilet - formerly composite
- Carriage 114 - Buffet Car.
- Carriage 117 (1977) - All 3rd Saloon. Withdrawn Autumn 2015, and sold to the Moseley Railway Trust at Apedale.
- Carriage 118 (1977) - All 3rd Saloon. Withdrawn Winter 2016, and sold to the GVLR.
- Carriage 119 (1980) - All 3rd Saloon with Lavatory. Withdrawn Winter 2014, and sold to the GVLR.
- Carriage 120 (1980) - All 3rd Saloon, formerly with Lavatory. Withdrawn Summer 2018, and sold to the Moseley Railway Trust at Apedale.
- Carriage 121 (1981) - All 3rd Saloon. Withdrawn 2005 and scrapped.
- Carriage 21 (second) - Ashbury replica.
Planned for construction
- Van 51 - four-wheeler built in 1963 to replace old Van 1 - (1955).
- Carriage 111 - Formerly an Observation Car with lavatory and guard's compartment, and fitted with Push Pull remote driving cab. Now used as service stock.
- Carriage 1000 - PW mess car converted from Carriage 100 (first) and now scrapped.
- Carriage 1111 - PW mess car.
FR Fleet table
Click [show] to expand the fleet table.
|Key:||In service||Stored||Scrapped||Renumbered or repurposed||Preserved elsewhere||Under construction|
|Number||Year built||Class||Current facilities||Former facilities||Service status||Notes|
|1 (1864)||1863/4||Bug Box||Open Third||Built as first class, converted to open third circa 1880s||Scrapped 1929|
|1||1994-7||Bug Box||Open Third||In service||"Zoo Car" - Replica incorporating parts from carriage 2|
|2||1863/4||Bug Box||First||Open third 1880s to 1990s||In service||Numbered 6 from 1950s to 1990s|
|3||1863/4||Bug Box||Third||In service|
|4||1863/4||Bug Box||Third||In service|
|5||1863/4||Bug Box||Third||In service|
|6||1863/4||Bug Box||Third||Scrapped 1931|
|7 (1868)||1868||Ashbury||Third||Scrapped 1928|
|8||1885/6||Quarrymen's Carriage||Third||In service|
|10||2006||Ashbury||Third||In service||Replica of first class carriage|
|11||1863/4||Bug Box||Fully Open Third||Fully Open First 1860s to C.1880s, First Observation C.1880s to C.1920s, Open Third C.1920s to 1950s||In service||"The Flying Bench" - Originally numbered 12, 11 around 1930s, 7 from 1950s to 1990s|
|12||2012||Bug Box||Open Third||In service||"Porthole Bug Box" - Replica incorporating some original parts from carriage 11|
|13||1863/4||Bug Box||Open Third||Fully Open Third 1860s to C.1880s, First Observation C.1880s to C.1920s||Scrapped 1958||Numbered 12 from 1930s|
|14||1897||Lynton & Barnstaple||Buffet Car||In service|
|15||1872||Pioneer bogie||Composite||In service|
|16||1872||Pioneer bogie||Composite||In service|
|21 (1897)||1897||Ashbury||Third||Scrapped by 1962|
|21||2019||Ashbury||Third||Under construction||Replica of previous 21|
|22||1897||Ashbury||Third||In service||Little original fabric remains|
|24||2002||Ashbury||Third||In service||Replica of NWNGR Summer Car|
|26||1894||Ashbury||Third||In service||Little original fabric remains|
|37 (1923)||1923||Toastrack||Open Third||Dismantled||Underframe reused under current 38|
|37||1971||Toastrack||Open Third||In service|
|38 (1923)||1923||Toastrack||Open Third||Dismantled|
|38||1971||Toastrack||Open Third||In service|
|39 (1923)||1923||Toastrack||Open Third||Dismantled|
|39||1992||Toastrack||Open Third||In service||Replica of original style toastrack|
|40||1923||Toastrack||Open Third||In service||Now on Apedale Valley Railway|
|42||1923||Toastrack||Open Third||In service||Now on WHHR|
|Van 1 (1873)||1873||Brake van||Passenger brake van||Scrapped 1921|
|Van 1||2004||Brake van||Passenger brake van||In service||"Curly roof van" Replica|
|Van 2||1873||Brake van||Brake third||Passenger brake van||In service|
|Van 3 (1876)||1876||Brake van||Passenger brake van||Scrapped 1955|
|Van 3||2013-14||Brake van||Passenger brake van||In service||"Sentry Box" Replica|
|Van 4||1880||Brake van||Observation brake first||Passenger brake van, brake third||In service||Numbered 11 1955 - 2005|
|Van 5||1880||Brake van||Brake third||Passenger brake van||In service||Numbered 12 1955 - 2005|
|100 (1964)||1964/5||Barn (1st generation)||Observation First / Guard||Scrapped 2010||Renumbered to 1000 and moved to departmental stock 2005|
|100||2005/6||Barn (2nd generation)||Observation First||In service|
|101 (1968)||2005/6||Barn (2nd generation)||Observation First||Renumbered to 123 and converted into back-to-front third-class observation 2010/11|
|102||2005||Barn (2nd generation)||Observation Third||Observation First / Guard||In service|
|103 (1968)||1968||Barn (1st generation)||Buffet Third||Scrapped 2006||Formerly named Charles Spooner|
|103||2008/9||Superbarn (1st generation)||Third Saloon||In service|
|104||1964||Barn (1st generation)||Composite||In service||1st class compartment retained but declassified.|
|105||1964||Barn (1st generation)||Third Saloon / Toilet||1st class compartment (removed 2004)||In service|
|106||1968||Barn (1st generation)||Composite||In service||1st class compartment retained but declassified.|
|107||2004/5||Barn (2nd generation)||Composite||In service||1st class compartment retained but declassified.|
|108||2011/13||Superbarn (1st generation)||Third Saloon||In service|
|110||1975||Prototype metal-bodied||Third Saloon||In service||Later prototype for Tin Cars class.|
|111||1986/90||Tin Car||Observation - PW interior||First class interior removed 2016||In service - Departmental use|
|112||1991||Carnforth||Third Saloon||First class compartments removed 2019||In service|
|113||1991||Carnforth||Brake third with toilet||Rebuilt with toilet and guards van in former first class compartments 2019||In service|
|114||1991||Carnforth||Buffet Third||In service|
|116||1972||Prototype metal-bodied||Third saloon||First class compartment removed 2007||In service||Early prototype for Tin Cars class. Interior as rebuilt 2007/8 is prototype for Super Barn interior.|
|117 (1977)||1977||Tin Car||Third saloon||Withdrawn 2015 - sold to Moseley Railway Trust|
|117||2015/16||Superbarn (2nd generation)||Third Saloon||In service|
|118 (1977)||1977||Tin Car||Third saloon||Withdrawn 2016 - sold to GVLR|
|118||2016/17||Superbarn (2nd generation)||Third Saloon||In service|
|119 (1980)||1980||Tin Car||Third saloon / Toilet||Withdrawn 2014 - sold to GVLR|
|119||2013/14||Superbarn (2nd generation)||Third Saloon||In service|
|120 (1980)||1980||Tin Car||Third saloon||Toilet removed 2010||Withdrawn 2018 - sold to Moseley Railway Trust|
|120||2017/18||Superbarn (2nd generation)||Third Saloon||In service|
|121 (1981)||1981||Tin Car||Third saloon||Scrapped 2005|
|121||2010/12||Superbarn (1st generation)||Third Saloon||In service|
|122||2003||Prototype metal-bodied||Third saloon||In service (allocated to WHR indefinitely)||Prototype for larger and longer vehicles.|
|123||2007||Barn (2nd generation)||Observation Third||Observation First/Guard||In service||Formerly 101|
|124||2007||Barn (2nd generation)||Service Car (Buffet/Guard/Toilet)||In service|
|125||2015/16||Superbarn (2nd generation)||Service Car (Buffet/Guard/Toilet)||In service|
|150||2014/15||Superbarn (Pullman)||Observation Pullman||In service||Named Gwynedd in 2019|
|152||2018||Superbarn (Pullman)||Observation Pullman||In service|