|Type||Observation Open (!)|
|Seating||14 x 3rd|
|Built by||Brown, Marshall & Co|
Carriage 13 was one of the FR's original carriages from 1865.
Carriage 13 was built by Brown, Marshall & Co of Adderley Park Birmingham. It was a single compartment open carriage with knifeboard seating and a third class of capacity seven each side. Believed to have been part of the first batch of narrow gauge passenger coaches built in the world for public service, to designs assumed to have been made by C.E. Spooner.
This was one of two open carriages from the original batch. One vehicle (12) was classified as first class, with padded seat backs and cushions while the other (13) had just plain wooden seating. The old company later constructed a canvas awning on a wrought iron frame to provide some protection from the elements.
Later in the 19th Century the carriages were rebuilt as enclosed observation carriages with glazed windows. After the 1st World War the glazing was removed and half height wire mesh substituted, as seen here.
This vehicle survived, just, as a derelict, into the preservation period, but was soon scrapped. Due to various renumberings over the period, it was sometimes No. 12 and sometime, between 1887 and 1939, known as No. 13.
The other open coach survived and became known as The Flying Bench, it has recently been restored to its original condition, complete with canvas awnings.
Additionally a replica of this type of carriage in its later enclosed form has been constructed and numbered 12.